Resources for Clergy
Why Do People Give?
Out of gratitude
- They are thankful for what they have received.
- They realize that God is the source of what they have.
- They have experienced blessings in their life.
Belief in the mission
- They know what the Church is about.
- The programs and ministry are in line with their perceptions.
- They want to be a part of the results.
They trust the leadership
- There has been a demonstrated sense of accountability.
- There are systems and controls in place to insure fidelity.
- Their past gifts have been properly accounted for and reported.
- Friends have encouraged them to be a part of the church.
- Their families are involved in the programs.
- There has been a sense of “Financial Evangelism.”
- They have wanted to acknowledge a significant event.
- They want to honor their family or a special person.
- They want to leave a legacy to their faith commitment.
They are involved
- They volunteer their time to various ministries in which they believe.
- They feel a part of the decision-making process.
- They take pride in the accomplishments of the church.
They respond to specific needs
- They can make designated gifts to specific purposes.
- They want to express a concern for a passion they have.
- They can identify with a clearly defined cause.
Out of guilt
- There is a deep-seated fear of not responding.
- There is a hope that gifts will buy them God’s blessings.
- There is an event in their lives for which they want to atone.
They have been trained to give
- Their family has taught them that giving to the church is a part of who they are.
- The church has provided a supportive environment for them to respond to God’s call.
- The leadership of the church has made a consistent effort to help them understand the need to respond.